The Twelve Colonies of Kobol
are twelve sovereign state-planets within three star systems, belonging to one, single democracy. They are located within the Cyrannus star system. Their names were derived to correspond to the ancient tribes of the original colony on Kobol .
Prior to The Fall, the Colonies were inhabited for over two millennia. The concept of “the United Colonies of Kobol” was only about 50 years old, stemming from the time between the first and second Cylon War and began with the Articles of Colonization.
Before this time, some of the Colonies (such as Leonis and Scorpia) were involved in wars with one-another. Intra-Colonial wars were also reinforced by alliances (Scorpia had an alliance with Caprica and Picon), causing more Colonies to get involved with conflicts.
These are the Twelve Colonies of Kobol, Cylon Earth, New Earth and New Caprica, as you’ve gotten to know them on the shows.
According to an interview with Jane Espenson, this is a quasi-correct map of the star system of the Twelve Colonies – in the Cyrannus star system -, some 2000 lightyears away from Kobol. A blog entry by Ronald D. Moore confirmed that every Colony was located within a single star system
Cyrannus is a star system with four main stars
– Helios Alpha
– Helios Beta
– Helios Gamma
– Helios Delta
These four stars form two binary systems
– Helios Alpha + Helius Beta
– Helios Gamma + Helios Delta
which are separated by 0.16 lightyears.
Helios Alpha was the first system to be settled after the Exodus of Kobol. Together with Helios Beta, it completes an orbit once every
Known planets & Astranomical bodies
– Icarus (planet)
– Picon (planet)
– Caprica (planet)
– Tauron (planet)
– Gemenon (planet)
– Minos (moon with a ring, close to Tauron – Home to mining facilities and scientific outposts)
– Erebos (asteroid belt, mined by Tauronians for centuries)
– Zeus (planet, gas giant, largest planet throughout the four systems, has 74 moons and constant athmospheric lightning)
– Nike (one of the largest of Zeus’ 74 moons)
– Hebe (another one of the largest of Zeus’ 74 moons)
– Persephony (dwarf planet, the outermost planet in the system)
Caprica and Gemenon share one and the same orbit and change position every 28.2 days. The combined mass of these planets is about twice that of Earth.
Helios Beta was the second system to be settled by Colonials after the Exodus from Kobol.
Known planets & Astronomical bodies
– Troy (planet used for Mining by Virgon and Leonis)
– Pallas (planet holding various research facilities of the Colonies. They were attempting to recreate a Kobol-like athmosphere)
– Ouranos (asteroid belt separating Leonis and Virgon)
– virgon (planet)
– Hibernia (moon, the only naturally inhabitable moon in the twelve Colonies)
– Hera (gas giant, third largest planet in Cyrannus, has 29 moons)
– Iris (one of Hera’s largest moons
– Eubora (one of Hera’s largest moons)
Settlers opposing Virgon ruling inhabited the Hibernia moon centuries ago. These Colonials were called Celtans.
Helios Gamma was the third star system settled by Colonials. Sharing orbit with Helios Delta, it completes orbit once every 456 years.
Known planets & other Astronomical bodies
– Thanatos (planet, locked to a star)
– Acheron (asteroid belt, named after Sagittaron’s largest river)
– Libran (planet)
– Herse (moon, orbits very closely to another moon, Pandrossos)
– Pandrossos (moon, orbits very closely to another moon, Herse)
– Scorpia (planet, features a half ring, presumably, it’s a moon that broke apart many centuries ago)
– Sagittaron (planet)
– Ophion (frigid gas giant, has 14 moons)
Colonial scientists believe Ragnar was originally part of Helios Gamma while Ophion was not. They believe Ragnar, at one point, was caught by Ophion and pushed out of orbit where it is now.
Helios Delta was the last of four systems that was settled by the Colonials.
Planets & other Astronomical bodies
– Phoebe (small planet)
– Styx (planet)
– Aeolus (asteroid belt)
– Aerilon (planet, shares an orbit with planets Hestia and Canceron)
– Canceron (planet, shares an orbit with planets Aerilon and Hestia)
– Hestia (planet, smallest gas giant in Cyrannus, shares an orbit with planets Aerilon and Canceron, has 17 moons)
– Kronos (one of the largest of Hestia’s 17 moons)
– Rhea (one of the largest of Hestia’s 17 moons)
– Aquaria (planet)
– Ragnar (gas giant, orbits Helios Gamma and Helios Delta, completes this double Helios-orbit in 899.78 years)
– Sigurd (Ragnar’s one moon)
– Ragnar Anchorage (refueling station, naval armory)